While riding the beach trolley along Estero Blvd, Lisa and I were making plans to spend the day on Sanibel Island. Unfortunately, there is no public transportation across the causeway to get out onto the island. Taxi fares were astronomical and thus a rental was our only option. Having a car would also be very helpful in getting us back to the airport at 3:00 a.m. for our flight to JFK the day after. The only problem was the extra fee associated with returning the car to a place other than its origin. (it was just as much as the rental) Trying to vacation “on the cheap” meant having to rent a car from the airport. Our discussion quickly turned to purchasing a bus ticket back to the Fort Myers airport.
To our surprise, a homeless couple (who were sitting directly behind us) offered us their all-day bus passes. We objected…they insisted…we offered to pay…they wouldn’t hear of it. As we graciously accepted, they asked in return for a prayer on their behalf. They said that they needed our prayers far more than they needed our money! Honestly, that little exchange of courtesy was a good reminder to never judge a book by its cover. When they had gotten on the trolley with us, we were the only ones aboard. They chose to sit directly behind us and I am ashamed to admit that I didn’t appreciate it one bit. They were both shabbily dressed and in serious need of a shower. Their hair was long, greasy and the ends were matted in what looked like the beginning of dreadlocks. They smiled as us, but I didn’t read the friendliness in their eyes, I was too absorbed with the lack of teeth and the fact that the remaining ones were browner than the floor of our transportation. My head was racing with questions about their character and their intentions. Were they going to ask for money? Would the trolley driver step in if they proceeded to accost us? Why did they have to sit so close when there were plenty of other seats to choose from? Why did they seem so interested in our conversation?
Silly, silly me! Does it really matter what kind of package a gift comes in? Just because someone hasn’t showered in awhile doesn’t mean that they aren’t kind, thoughtful, or sincere. Just because their clothes are in desperate need of a good boiling, doesn’t translate into them not being decent people who contribute to society. (Just look at Lisa and I, we were in that same boat!) As it turns out, I’m glad they sat so close. I appreciate that they were listening intently. What a blessing it was to be given something as little and inconsequential as a bus pass because it brought with it a larger than life lesson. After arriving at the airport, we paid it forward by giving the bus passes to a couple of women who were desperately trying to come up with the correct change to purchase a ticket. And of course, there were many, many prayers said for this generous couple and faith that their altruism would be rewarded.
Lesson Learned: Never judge a book by its cover
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is my favorite lesson learned!
I am so happy you posted all this. This is my favorite lesson also. The whole post was great. Thanks.
Post a Comment