This handful of gorgeous strawberries was a peace offering from Jace. I had repeatedly told him to stay out of the mud and he had repeatedly chosen to ignore me. He is a smart boy, much smarter than he may appear at times, and he knows how much I love strawberries. So as to avoid a "time-out" he grabbed some berries and proceeded to explain that the mud all over his pants was really from picking strawberries "special for you mom, cuz you lub dem so, so much!" How can I be mad at that? It's true, I love strawberries! I love running out to pick a few to put on top of my morning cereal. I love to eat them when I take a break from playing with the kids in the backyard. (We just sit out in the sunshine and fill our bellies full of those juicy berries.) They are my reward when I've finished weeding the flower beds but my most favorite thing is strawberry freezer jam! It's like a scoop of decadent ice cream melting on top of a hot, buttered piece of toast! Divine!! When I was taking my first Lamaze class, the instructor asked us to picture one of our most favorite and strongest memories to focus on during labor. Mine included strawberries! It was a bright summer morning and Sarah and I were out to Grandma Steel's (in Plano) picking berries. I can still feel the sun on our heads, smell the musk of that gritty, black sand and see our hands covered in that sweet red juice! Oh yes, I lub dem!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just happened upon your blog this afternoon while taking a break from my 3 hooligans. You are an awesome writer and seen to have a fun family.
What a precious boy!! I am glad to hear that you have good memories of those times. You definately had to help me pick a zillion. I agree the taste is divine whether it be on ice cream or wonderful frozen jam. I miss having some to pick. I am glad that you have some to enjoy. Mud and all. Give him a giant kiss.
OK, he may just be the sweetest and smartest thing ever. He definitely knows how to work his momma. I can't wait to squeeze on him and see you of course. Memories at Grandmas house are priceless. I sure miss her. See you soon. :)
Post a Comment