It's official....I am now "uncool". Me of all people, considered un-amazing, un-wonderful, un-awesome! I knew this day came to many, with a devastating blow, but it was never going to happen to me. I was immune, I believed I had super-human powers that would allowed me to stay hip and cool forever. Then, last night at the movies, my prowess was simply and easily demolished. As I'm headed to purchase tickets, Lainie grabs my arm and says in a low voice, "Mom, pretend you don't know us." Kryptonite! My self-esteem lay in ruin right there on the pavement! How could this have happened? I'm not that old. Lainie isn't that old. How could she behave like a cheeky teenager when she's only eleven? The girls headed to get popcorn and drinks and I decided to hole up in a dark corner. Licking my wounds, I see Lainie trying to get my attention. I slowly slink closer, trying not to embarrass her, and what does she say? "I can't carry all this stuff, will you bring my popcorn?" Oh the rapture of redemption! I knew it wouldn't last long, I knew she still needed me! Underneath their thin disguises every preteen still wants her mother! My head held high, I proceed with them to the theatre. But, all too soon, my dignity was once again torn from me. "Mom, walk behind us!"..... After delivering the popcorn, like some half-witted hireling, I sat alone (far away from the girls) with that phrase still ringing in my ears.
Now, 24 hours later, I'm having a good laugh about it! In fact, I nearly wet my pants retelling it. In my dreams I'm Super-Sensational-Magnificent Mom and in reality I'm....well....just Mom.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
And a great mom you are. At least right now you can still go see the same movie. The day will come when they don't even want you that close.
A moment we dread but it happens to all of us. At least you got to go to the same movie, for now. You know when people say "enjoy them when they are little" this is what they meant right? Laugh it off. ~M
I enjoy reading your blog. I think it's preparing me for my inevitable future. Thank you for going through the tough times and blogging about them so that I may learn from your experiences. Though, when I get to that point, I'll probably have forgotten about your imparted wisdom and foolishly think of myself as 'immune' as well.
You will always be there for them no matter what!! you are a great Mother and just keep up the good work! Just take it and keep walking with Pride that you have done a great job, most moms cant say that but you can! They will always love you!
Penny
I laughed just as hard when I read this as when you told me. She doesn't know what she's missing.....
Post a Comment