Sunday, June 14, 2009

Belgium

Wow! People, if you ever want to be overwhelmed by the beauty of medieval architecture head to Brussels. The Grand Place is the most amazing square you'll ever see! The buildings are gigantic and each is so distinct, disparate and .....well, over-the-top! We spent the entire day just exploring the square and it's surrounding side streets, we didn't even begin to see any other part of the country! Each street seems to be it's own sovereign state. One is full of cafes and shop that sell nothing but seafood, another nothing but Greek food, still another with only Asian food etc.... Of course, each has it's own chocolate boutique, waffle artisan and lace shoppe. (And let me just say, that if I die today, I won't mind. Having tasted the most divine chocolate in my lifetime, I am now complete!) The streets are so tiny, they're practically alley's and each is full to bursting with cafe tables and chairs. This place is dripping with charm, from the Grand Place square, to the Royal Gardens. (Well maybe not the famous statute located at the junction of Rue de l'Étuve/Stoofstraat and Rue du Chêne/Eikstraat. It seems that everyone else was charmed by the Manneken Pis while I was totally annoyed. Probably because I have my own live version of it at home!) Despite that little guy, I loved this place and am so glad Dustin suggested we drop by!

The Grand Place


Chocolate anyone?



This is the place for lace!

Check out this little restaurant.
(you have to step down into it from the street)
Us at the Royal Gardens.

1 comment:

fancynancy&grandpalyle said...

I am so happy that you got to go.
Did you buy any lace? Belgium lace is so gorgeous. And the chocolate is probably like Scotlands to die for.
It looks absolutely wonderful like in a story book.