Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Vacation at Grandma's

Growing up, I lived by both sets of my grandparents. G and G Pete lived directly across the street and G and G Steel lived in a neighboring town, so there was never a "vacation" to grandmas house. I didn't mind though, it was great to see them all the time and to spend nearly every Sunday dinner at one or the others home. At the end of summer however, I would get a pseudo "vacation" with grandma Steel. Back to School week for the teachers was one of my favorite times of the year! It always made me feel special to be asked by her to help get her room set up for the new school year. I loved sorting books and putting them on shelves, hanging up posters and apple covered boarders and making the reading nook in the corner as comfy as could be. She would always pack a lunch for us (usually egg salad sandwiches) and let me be the first one to get my little hands into her stash of Jolley Ranchers. Each year at this time, I get a sad longing to join Grandma Steel in her 3rd grade room at the school and decorate her bulletin boards. I'm glad she gave me that opportunity to spend some time with her and enjoy her delightful company.

I'm so glad that my mom and Susan make opportunities for my kids to spend time with them as well. It's different for my kids, since we live far away, they get the "real" vacation at grandma's house. But, no matter how it happens, it's a special, treasured time that my kids enjoy and I'm sure (just like me) they will always remember. Thanks Grandma's!

Here are a few photos of our most recent trip to grandmas house.

S'mores with the cousins are the best!
(check out Jace, he'd rather play cowboy)

The girls being river monsters!
(Ellie looks thrilled with her seaweed hair)

Jace loves grandpa's blue boat.



A trip to the Spud to see Harry Potter!

Skipping rocks in String Lake

Enjoying the water and the sunshine


String Lake is a blast!


We can't forget grandpas!
(Moose, WY.)

Back at G and G Birch's house

1 comment:

fancynancy&grandpalyle said...

You all have had a great summer. I am so glad that you have a good camera to get all these great shots.